The Rebelle Rally has a new EV competitor for its sixth year — the all-electric Volkswagen ID.4 AWD.
Modified for off-road action by Tanner Foust and Rhys Millen Racing, this Volkswagen ID.4 AWD represents VW’s first Rebelle Rally. This is the first time an all-wheel drive Volkswagen ID.4 has been in a competition. Recently, an all-electric rear-drive Volkswagen ID.4 participated in the NORRA Mexican 1000, co-piloted by our friend Emme Hall.
Now, Volkswagen wants to go one step further by entering it in the 2021 Rebelle Rally. Driver Mercedes Lilienthal and navigator Emily Winslow will have to pilot the EV on this challenging test of navigation and endurance. While the ID.4 performed well in the NORRA 1000, this is a completely different type of competition.
This is how the 2021 Rebelle Rally will work:
- Compass & Map Challenges – Green, Blue, Black Diamond, & X Checkpoints
- Enduro Challenges – Roadbooks to stay “on time” or “on route”
- Black diamond CPs are scored on a step method “nearest the bullseye”
- Enduro challenges can include “extreme enduros”
- Competitors are given a CP Guide with all needed information for the stage & must plot latitude longitudes or heading & distances on the map to identify locations of CPs.
- Highest score wins
- 10-12+ hours of competition per day
- Competitors return to “base camp” at the end of a stage
- 1 marathon stage per rally = no overnight base camp
Another cool component of the rally is the fact that you have a wild variety of vehicles participating. There are regular gas, and diesel-powered 4x4s, hybrids, plug-in hybrids and electric vehicles. All of them play on the same field, following the same rules. Sure, a large part of the competition is about the skills of the teams, but they need to drive reliable and capable machines. It will be interesting to see how Volkswagen does on their first Rebelle Rally.
The Rebelle Rally is a woman-driven and navigated off-road competition that covers approximately 1,400 miles. It takes place in the deserts of Nevada and California. The competition runs from October 7–16, 2021.
More on the Volkswagen ID.4 AWD below: