Our man Alex tested the Yamaha Wolverine RMAX 1000 (RMAX2-1000 and RMAX4-1000) in Hurricane, Utah – he was impressed.
UTVs like the 2021 Yamaha Wolverine RMAX 1000 series compete against the work and fun UTVs. These vehicles are becoming extremely popular for off-road builders and their do-it-all abilities are noteworthy. The 2021 Yamaha Wolverine RMAX 1000’s direct competitor is the Polaris General which you can read more about (here).
Power comes from a parallel-twin sourced by Yamaha. The 108 horsepower powerplant is connected to a continuously variable transmission. The power is fed to the rear wheels via a locked rear diff. There is a front locking diff that activates with the flip of a switch.
One important note about that CVT – Yamaha has a 10-year warranty on the CVT’s belt.
The power is modulated thanks to the Chip Controlled Throttle system.
There are a number of notable updates on this all-new version of the Wolverine:
- Most models come with Fox QS-3 adjustable shocks. These shocks have three settings – soft, medium and firm. The Fox QS-3 shocks must be adjusted at each corner. Fortunately, it’s an easy process to click each shock into the setting you need. If you get the top-of-the-line LE model, you get the IQ-S shocks. These shocks permit adjust on the fly technology with a flip of the dash-mounted switch.
- Warn winch comes standard on the XTR and LE models.
- Both of the 2021 Yamaha Wolverine RMAX 1000 have a 600-lbs hauling capacity and a 2,000-lbs towing capacities. The two-seater has a hydraulically assisted dump bed which is in the same place the four-seater houses the rear seats.
- The entrance is new and far easier to work with. Yamaha changed the internal architecture to allow for wider opening doors, and a larger foot-well area which makes for easier ingress and egress.
- Pricing starts at $19,700 for a base model two-seater and can easily exceed $25,000 for a fully loaded LE.
The Yamaha Wolverine RMAX 1000 lineup is available now at dealerships.
Check out this video for an in-depth review of this machine!